The rich natural history, abundant mineral resources, and varied landscape of Pennsylvania create an awesome geoscience classroom waiting to be explored. The resources provided here will help students (both young and old) to observe and interpret the science that is all around them and to use nature’s clues to understand the history of the earth.
A formerly popular teaching tool is now back. Read more about our rock boxes.
Topics of Interest:
- Collecting rocks, minerals, and fossils
- Pennsylvania's physiographic sections
- Heritage geology sites of Pa.
- Oil and gas in Pennsylvania
- The Tremont Syncline
- Historical geologic maps from the 1880s
- Earth Day essay, “Geology Past, Present, and Future”
- Geologic Time Chart for Pennsylvania
There are many other geologic topics on our website. Use the left menus to explore our website (as a good starting point, visit our Geology of PA page), or better yet, go outside and look at the earth!