Groundwater Data and Reports
The Pennsylvania Geological Survey has been characterizing the state's groundwater resources since the 1930s. The Survey continues to develop regional and statewide datasets and reports on groundwater. The complete series of Water Resource Reports, including those long out of print, is available online. See the following specific reports and lists of reports for groundwater information, including recent releases and data from other organizations.
- Digital bedrock aquifer characteristics by physiographic section of Pennsylvania. The 2010 geographic information system (GIS) dataset represents a derivative product of the digital bedrock geology dataset and selected water well and groundwater data from Water Resource Report 69. The derivative data are available for downloading in “geodatabase” and shapefile formats.
- Water Resources Report 69, Hydrogeologic and well-construction characteristics of the rocks of Pennsylvania. This 2004 publication on CD–ROM consists mainly of a database in Microsoft Access containing a statewide statistical summary of the hydrogeologic (physical and chemical) and well-construction (well depth and casing length) characteristics of the stratigraphic units on the 1980 state geologic map.
Pennsylvania Groundwater Information System (PaGWIS)
- PaGWIS Online access to individual water well and spring reports and data package downloads.
Water Resource Reports
Groundwater data are available from water resource reports of the Pennsylvania Geological Survey.
Recent groundwater reports, videos, and data products from the Pennsylvania Geological Survey are listed below. See our Publications page for more online publications and digital data.
- Water Resource Report 71: Groundwater and petroleum resources of Sullivan County, Pennsylvania (June 2014)
- Water Wells: iConserve video about water wells by Gary Fleeger (November 2013)
- Groundwater: iConserve video about groundwater by Stuart Reese (August 2013)
- Open-File Report OFMI 13–01.1: Geohydrologic and water-quality characterization of a fractured-bedrock test hole in an area of Marcellus shale gas development, Bradford County, Pennsylvania (2013)
- Rethinking the hydrologic cycle, Pennsylvania Geology, v. 41, no. 1, p. 3 (Spring 2011)
- Geographic information system (GIS) data: Digital bedrock aquifer characteristics by physiographic section of Pennsylvania (June 2010)
- Fact Sheet: Recommendations for construction of private wells in bedrock (April 2010)
- In cooperation with the the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Water Resource Report 70, Summary of groundwater-recharge estimates for Pennsylvania (March 2010)
- Step by step—Sustaining and protecting water resources, Pennsylvania Geology, v. 39, no. 1, p. 16-17 (Spring 2009)
- In cooperation with the Pennsylvania Geological Survey, USGS Scientific Investigations Report 2008-5185, Regression method for estimating long-term mean annual ground-water recharge rates from base flow in Pennsylvania (October 2008)
- Guide for logging wells: recommendations for completing accurate well logs (June 2008)
- Rock type maps by county (June 2008)
Data from Other Organizations
- Pennsylvania groundwater data from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
- USGS groundwater quality data in Pennsylvania: A compilation of computerized [electronic] databases, 1979-2004.
- Geologic reports from the USGS National Geologic Map Database.
- DEP ambient groundwater monitoring program groundwater data on Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access website (PASDA).
- EPA’s STORET, a computerized environmental data system.